11.02.2012

Jamaica Mon

I used to believe that "yah mon" was simply an over-exaggerated phrase that us Americans just assumed all Jamaicans used all the time. Well, I'm here to tell you that if I had a dollar for every time I heard it during the week we were there, I would probably be a millionaire. {I would also be a millionaire if I had a dollar for every time I was offered the authentic Jamaican drug of choice, but that's a different story}. 

Instead of having countless responses (yeah, sure, uh-huh, yep, yes...) Jamaicans have one phrase. Yah mon. What a simple concept. My favorite part of "yah mon" is that Eric now believes he is Jamaican, and uses the phrase whenever appropriate. And by 'whenever appropriate', I mean every chance he gets.

We had the most amazing time in Negril! Like our honeymoon, we did a little bit of everything! It was a great way to start our offseason and celebrate our first year of being married. We hated leaving, but it was such a fun trip. We developed such a love for the people of Jamaica while we were there. They were some of the most kind, genuine, happy people we have ever met. Jamaica was a very poor country, but these people appreciated were so happy and content with what they had. What a lesson it was for us. We loved them!

 {Our main man Ian. He worked at the pizza shop (where we lived), and became one of our best friends from the trip. LOVE HIM!}

{Jammed out with the guys on the beach. Just look at that smile!}

 {Paddle boarding}

 {Puffer fish}

 {Dolphins! I'm obsessed}

 {So cute!}

 {Scuba}

{8 ft. nurse shark. We're very hardcore}

Our favorite memory from the trip was from our second scuba dive. Unfortunately there wasn't a photographer on the trip with us, but we experienced the most amazing thing! As we were down about 60 feet, our dive guide motioned to us that he heard dolphins. We started listening carefully and could hear the adorable dolphin squeaks in the distance. We stopped hearing them, and continued on our trip. About 10 minutes later, we heard them again. Sure enough, 8, yes 8! dolphins came swimming around us. We just sat and watched as they swam all around and in between us!

I have always had a major obsession with dolphins. On our many Sea World trips, my parents would have to drag me away crying from the dolphin exhibit after staring at them for hours. So, you can imagine my excitement being able to interact with the dolphins in their natural habitat. It was honestly one of the coolest experiences Eric and I have ever had. Something we'll never forget. 

We had such an amazing trip, and are SO blessed to be able to have so many of these awesome experiences together. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! One of the highlights from mine and Jus's honeymoon was our dolphin trip as well! They are just amazing creatures!! I am so glad you had such an epic and wonderful anny!

    ReplyDelete